Burn Injuries in New York
Manhattan Personal Injury Attorney Recovering Compensation for Your Suffering
Some of the most serious catastrophic injuries are those involving burns. An adult or child who has had the misfortune of suffering a serious burn injury requires both the finest medical attention to ensure maximum recovery and the highest quality legal representation to protect their rights. Burns have multiple causes, but the most common are heat or thermal burns. These are caused by fire, steam, hot objects, or boiling liquids, including tap water, which is the most common source of burn deaths and hospitalizations. Electricity, chemicals, radiation, and friction are the other sources of burn injuries. If you have suffered from a burn injury in New York contact a Manhattan burn injury attorney from Segal & Lax and see how we may be able to help you recover damages for any type of burn injury.
You can reach the offices of Segal & Lax by calling 800-SMART-LAW. Our services extend to all five New York boroughs.
Types of Burns
Many burns are fully preventable and are caused by the negligence of another party, such as a building manager who fails to properly regulate tap water and smoke detectors or a manufacturer of defective products.
The classification of burns can be split up into three types:
- Thermal burns: This type of burn is the most common and is caused by an increase in temperature which can come from a hot liquid or a flame.
- Chemical burns: This type of burn can come from acids or alkalis or any other compounds that burn the skin. Injuries arise when the chemical touches the skin.
- Electrical burns: This type of burn occurs when an electrical current goes through someone's body. The contact burns through layers of a person's skin.
Degrees of Burns
Generally, burns are divided into three categories: first-, second-, and third-degree burns.
- First-degree burns are superficial and affect only the first layer of skin, called the epidermis.
- Second-degree burns injure both the first and second layers of skin, the dermis
- Third-degree burns destroy the epidermis and dermis and may damage the tissue, bone and tendons underneath the skin
Both second- and third-degree burns require immediate medical attention. Anyone sustaining such injuries will likely require long-term medical care with a painful recovery, possibly even plastic surgery. If you or someone you know has been injured in a fire or some other accident that resulted in a burn injury, then you should immediately contact our skilled burn injury attorneys in Manhattan at Segal & Lax in Manhattan.
Looking for an attorney for your burn injury case in the New York?
For more than a decade, we have successfully represented people who have been injured due to burn accidents. We have earned our reputation based on success and commitment to our clients. Our firm has a proven record of obtaining multi-million dollar damage awards for injured persons. Our dedicated team of paralegals, support staff and independent consultants are focused on protecting the rights of the injured and getting the financial compensation they need and deserve.
We are here to help and serve our clients. If you or someone you
know has sustained a burn injury due to another's negligence,
contact Segal & Lax at your earliest convenience!