Implementing the Defense of Marriage Act

Immigration Lawyers Assisting Same-Sex Spouses Throughout Manhattan

Are you looking to sponsor a same-sex spouse for a family-based visa or green card so that you can establish a life in the United States together? What about for a same-sex fiancée, or your spouse's or fiancée's children? At Segal & Lax, we provide same-sex spouses with the resources and legal counsel they need in order to achieve their unique immigration goals. Our Manhattan attorneys would be proud to handle your case next. With a reputation for exceeding client expectations and an exceptional track record of success, you can be confident that we are the right choice. We are proud to offer our legal services to clients throughout the five boroughs.

In June of 2013, a Supreme Court decision majorly expanded the possibilities for same-sex spouses seeking to apply for marriage-related federal benefits, including immigration benefits. The ruling deemed a certain section of the Defense of Marriage Act (DOMA) unconstitutional. This part of the act recognized marriage as being solely between a man and a woman, therefore limiting marriage-related federal benefits exclusively to heterosexual spouses. Now that this section of DOMA has been overturned, United State citizens and lawful permanent residents in same-sex relationships can petition for immigration visas and green cards for their spouses and fiancées.

Do You Understand Your Rights & Legal Options?

Due to the Supreme Court's decision on DOMA, there are now multiple visas that same-sex couples can take advantage of. K-3 visas can be used to bring foreign-national spouses to the U.S., while K-4 visas can be used to bring any eligible children of spouses into the U.S.. A K-1 visas can be used to bring foreign-national fiancées to the U.S., and K-2 visas allow those fiancée's children to enter the U.S. as well. In addition, gay or lesbian U.S. citizens or permanent residents can now serve as sponsors when their same-sex spouses apply for green cards (or permanent residency) under the "Immediate Relative of a U.S. Citizen" category.

It is important to note that these changes to U.S. policy have become effective across the nation. This means that even if a same-sex couple that was legally married now lives in another state that does not recognize same-sex marriage, that couple will still have access to these marriage-related immigration benefits.

Call 800-SMART-LAW To Obtain Personalized Legal Support Today

If you would like to learn more about how you and your same-sex spouse can take advantage of family-based immigration, reach out to our firm today! We can help you understand your various options and take action in a strategic and effective manner. We want to help you and your loved one lay the groundwork for a future in the United State of America.


  • Segal & Lax Through your hard work and what you did in our case, you have secured our financial future.
  • Segal & Lax You made a big difference in our lives.
  • Segal & Lax Segal & Lax really does fight for you!
  • Segal & Lax He helped get the case through the court system faster and negotiate a reasonable settlement on my behalf.
  • Segal & Lax It is good to know that there are still some lawyers out there that really care for you.
  • Segal & Lax He gave me peace of mind through my time of need.
Prev Next

Contact Segal & Lax

    • Please enter your name.
    • This isn't a valid phone number.
      Please enter your phone number.
    • This isn't a valid email address.
      Please enter your email address.
    • Please make a selection.
    • Please enter a message.
Put Us On Your Side